A preliminary study on the "cost problem" of the application of radio frequency identification technology in the field of road traffic
radio frequency identification (RFID) technology, as the most dynamic and promising high-tech in the field of modern information technology, has entered a comprehensive stage of commercial application with the development of large-scale integrated circuits, network communications, information security and other technologies, and its great role in promoting human beings to enter the information and digital society is increasingly emerging. At present, in the process of promoting the application of RFID technology, it is generally reflected that it has encountered the problem of "cost barriers", which has hindered its standardized and socialized application, which has attracted great attention from the government and the industry. Many experts and scholars have conducted analysis and research in order to find out the reasons as soon as possible, solve the problems, and break out of the shackles of this bottleneck. Based on the author's experience in the application research and engineering practice of radio frequency identification (RFID) technology for many years, and with the help of the analysis of several typical applications of radio frequency technology in China at present, this paper makes a preliminary discussion on the essence, causes and solutions of this "problem", so as to attract jade and contribute to the joint efforts to solve this problem
1. About the understanding of RFID "cost problem"
at present, a new self-healing design strategy "phase locked dynamic chemical bonds" is proposed. The "cost problem" commonly reflected in the application of radio frequency identification (RFID) technology in the society is directly expressed as: "the cost is too high", especially from the demand side. Through careful analysis, the cost of the application of this new technology is mainly composed of two parts, namely "technology and product cost (more expressed by products and equipment)" and "the cost formed in the application of this technology". For modern information technology, this combination and expression of cost is particularly prominent. In the proportion of "total cost", the "cost of application link" often greatly exceeds the "cost of products and equipment". If we only focus on solving new technologies, the "production cost" of new products will often fall into a vicious circle of "chicken" and "egg" between "batch" and "cost". While seriously reducing the production cost of new technologies and products, we should study more and scientifically build the cost of application links, and work hard in the field of a large proportion of the total cost, which is more conducive to the solution of "cost obstacles". Based on this idea and perspective, this paper discusses the "cost problem" encountered in the promotion and application of radio frequency identification (RFID) technology
2. Based on the above concept, the cost problem is not the fundamental problem
first of all, the consideration of cost depends on value. That is, the degree of social recognition and acceptance of the cost of a new technology and product depends on the use value (application value) of the new technology and product. The higher the application value, the greater the benefit of users, and the greater the possibility that the "cost" will be accepted. Even if the "cost" of new technologies and products is low, if it has no "use value" or "use value" is very low, users can not benefit or rarely benefit, this "low cost" is difficult to be accepted. Therefore, the "cost problem" is only a representation here. The reason why "cost" becomes a "problem" or obstacle is the result of the fuzzy "application value" of new technologies and new products or the weak expression of value. Efforts should be made to highlight the application value of new technologies or products or enhance their "value expression mode and expression ability"
specific to the new technology of radio frequency identification (RFID). Its total cost (cost used) 5 Factory inspection declaration: the level of one copy and the degree of its recognition depend on the design and construction of the RFID application system value chain, and the strength and way of RFID value expression in the RFID application system integration work
3. One of the keys of RFID application system integration is the design and construction of the value chain. This penetrating discussion reveals the value characteristics of RFID technology. RFID technology is even based technology, and RFID technology is system technology. In the integration of RFID application system, the longer the value chain designed for it, the more links of value expression, and the higher the cost is recognized. If in the same 7 Please read the instructions carefully. In the next RFID technology application system, the more electronic tags are used, the more fully the reader writer is used, and the higher its cost is decomposed, diluted and recognized. On the contrary, the shorter the value chain is designed, or the fewer links for value expression, the more prominent the cost problem is. For example, in the highway etc project currently in operation in China, the cost of an electronic tag used for an electronic wallet is hundreds of yuan (usually around 300 yuan). For the cost of a car, its cost is very small. For the economic affordability of a car owner who can consume cars or use cars as production tools, this cost is not difficult to accept. But in terms of the value of its realization, just for an E-wallet function, it needs to pay a cost of several hundred yuan, which is undoubtedly the application project with the highest media cost in China's gold card project. It has been popularized for ten years and has not been popularized, which is probably the main reason
4. The design and construction of the value chain of RFID application system depends on the design of the "application mode" and "business mode" of the system. At present, China's gold card engineering field vigorously promotes the "multi-purpose card" and "multi-function card", which is the summary, optimization and improvement of the original application system, which will undoubtedly reconstruct the value chain of the original application system and touch its business model at the same time. However, to understand and solve problems only from the perspective of "one card for multiple purposes" and "multi-function card" is to only grasp the "tactical" problem, and the "application mode" is the problem of strategic height
rfid application system has many functions. From the beginning, we should design and build the system value chain and business model from the strategic level of "application mode"
from the application practice of RFID technology at home and abroad for more than a decade, the application mode of this new technology can be divided into two categories: one is "tool application" and the other is "resource application"
"tool application" is characterized by taking RFID technology only as a tool to complete specific tasks, giving it a single task, a single function, a simple application environment (generally expressed as a closed-loop). This application system has a short value chain, a single use link of technical devices, a low frequency of use, and a short period of validity. Especially outstanding performance in the application of electronic labels. For example, the highway etc system uses the electronic tag as an electronic wallet, the access control system uses the electronic tag as an "electronic key", the logistics system uses the electronic tag as a code for the circulation of goods, and the commodity anti-counterfeiting system uses the electronic tag as an anti-counterfeiting identification, etc
the application system integrated by this kind of application mode provides "functional services", and the provider of RFID technology plays the role of supplier and integrator. Such systems are generally operated by users themselves, forming industrial application systems or enterprise application systems. "Resource-based application" refers to the application of RFID technology to the development of information resources, especially the integration of electronic tags as "source" devices into a resource-based development and application system. This application system has a long value chain, many links of technical devices, high frequency of use and long application period. This application mode places RFID technology on the "source" end and "acquisition" end of a large information resource development system, based on the creation of "standard source", gives full play to the advantages of the perfect combination of RFID "source" technology and "acquisition technology", and aims at the development and Application of information resources. Under this application mode, the integrated RFID application system provides "information services", and the role of RFID technology providers is fully played through professional operators. This system is generally operated by professional operators independent of end users (similar to China Mobile), and its services are represented as socialized public information services. The "vehicle digital standard information source system (vdsi)" and "ubiquitous RFID IOT system" that are being actively studied and tried out are representatives of such applications. "Cost problem" has not become an obstacle in this application mode. This application mode of RFID technology makes its value tend to maximize
5. The application of RFID technology depends on the cognition of its core value
RFID technology is a basic common technology in modern information technology, which has unique core value. Only by deeply understanding its core value, can we design and construct a universal, practical and economic application system for various needs
the core value of RFID technology is highlighted in "Id" ＋ "RF", that is, in "the perfect combination of source technology and acquisition technology"
the innovation of RFID technology makes the source technology and acquisition technology organically and mutually adaptable to produce and operate in a complete technical system. This makes it possible to create "identity sources" or "digital standard sources of identity" for many "things". "Everything will get an ID" and "everything will be identified" are no longer scientific illusions and assumptions. It opens a new door for the development and acquisition of rich source resources. It has prepared realistic technical conditions for the digital society and the digital earth. Therefore, a deep understanding and cognition of this core value of RFID technology will benefit its promotion and application, as well as the integration of application systems based on this technology
the problem of "cost obstacles" encountered in the promotion and application of RFID technology can be solved not only by reducing the production cost of products, but also by giving full play to the core value of RFID technology, paying full attention to the research and design of corresponding application modes, scientifically designing its application value chain, and pursuing the maximization of its use value in the integration of application systems
according to this concept to examine the promotion and application of RFID, China's modern road traffic field will be the best application scenario and broad world for the full expression of RFID core values. "Cost problem" here will not be an obstacle. It can be predicted that RFID technology will achieve a strategic breakthrough in the field of road transportation in China
note: the field of road traffic referred to in this paper includes road traffic, urban road traffic, community and enterprise road traffic. (end)
Copyright © 2011 JIN SHI